Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Timbaland Protégé Tink Talks Female Empowerment & Being A Feminist Rapper

(AllHipHop News) Superstar producer Timbaland has found a new rap protégé. After introducing his signature Da Bassment sound with Aaliyah, Missy Elliott, and Ginuwine, Timbo is ready to change the face of music again with 19-year-old Chicago artist Tink.

The rapper/singer has been building a buzz for several years, and she got a huge break when DJ Envy debuted her version of Rick Ross' "Movin' Bass" featuring Jay Z on The Breakfast Club. Tink has now made the February/March 2015 cover of The Fader. In the article, she spoke about a positive, realistic vision of female empowerment.

[ALSO READ: Timbaland Talks The Aaliyah Movie, His New Artist Tink & More]

FADAR-TINK

"I had to cut off calling myself 'b***h.' And I cut out some of the songs where I was kind of like degrading myself. When people do that, of course it's seen in a fun way, but at the same time it's sending the message to everybody else to look at you as a bitch," said Tink. "I want to dig deep into bad relationships, molestation, racism, and not feeling pretty. I want to get under people's skin."

Tink embraces the tag of being a representation of feminism. Her experiences in the music business have already set her on a path of voicing that women are politically, socially, and economically equal to men.

"I'm definitely a feminist. The industry made me that way. I had to grind so hard to be taken seriously, had to work twice as hard to get here," Tink states. "As far as female [rappers], there aren't as many, so if you want to compete, you have to sound [a certain way] because that's the only thing hot right now. If you want to compete, you have to look [a certain way]… I'm in my own little lane, doing just me. I don't have to fit in."

Read Tink's full The Fader cover story here.

[ALSO READ: Breeding Ground: Chicago Emcee Tink Takes A Stand With "Tell The Children"]

Listen to "Movin' Bass" with Tink, Jay Z  and Rick Ross below.


Filed under: News Tagged: Timbaland, Tink

via AllHipHop http://ift.tt/1znf5uD

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe