Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Rap-Up TV: Jazmine Sullivan Talks Return to Music, New Album


Jazmine Sullivan is back. After a three-and-a-half-year hiatus, the Philly songstress made a triumphant return to the stage in London in March and is readying her first album in four years for release in 2015. During a recent tour stop in L.A., Rap-Up TV caught up with the R&B powerhouse to discuss her long-awaited return to music and the real reason behind her hiatus.


Following the release of her 2010 album Love Me Back, Jazmine vanished from the music industry. While she told the public that she needed time to figure out who she was, she was hiding a painful secret.


“I was going through a really hard time in a relationship and it kinda really took away all my joy from everything,” she revealed. “It became too much for me to try to go out and perform and smile, so I just decided I need to take a break.”


However, she did not expect her hiatus to last years. “I probably thought it would be at least a month. A month turned into two and two turned into years, but I’m glad to be back though.”


Her third album Reality Show (the title was inspired by her love for reality shows) is done and features production from Salaam Remi, Anthony Bell, and Key Wane. “I’m really proud of it. I worked harder on this album than any album,” she said. “I put a lot of pressure on myself ’cause I haven’t been out in so long.”


But don’t expect the sad songs of the past. “I found it best to kinda not talk about [the relationship]. I was trying to get my mind off of that,” she said. “The songs are really colorful, just about life in general and reality from my eyes.”


She’s also put down the crowbar. “I’m done busting windows. I’m done with that,” she laughed.


Reality Show includes the Meek Mill-assisted “Dumb,” the soulful “Forever Don’t Last,” and “Mascara,” which she calls one of her favorites. “It shows that I’ve grown as a writer and I just love how laid-back it is.”






via Rap-Up.com http://ift.tt/1Fps1TC